Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 15:48:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP- WF2Q and RED now available in -current

[Bcc to -current and -isp as relevant for them as well]

Hi,
as the subject says, i have just committed some new code to
dummynet (and related hooks and documentation for ipfw) to
implement RED (thanks to Gianluca Iannaccone) and a
variant of Weighted Fair Queueing called WF2Q+

I have tested it locally and would like to have this code
in -STABLE and hopefully -RELENG_3 before 3.5 if time permits.

Read the manpage for more details. An updated PicoBSD image
should appear soon at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

In order to test WFQ you can try the following:

	ipfw add 100 queue 10 icmp from any to any out
	ipfw add 200 queue 11 ip from any to any out

	ipfw queue 10 config weight 1 pipe 2
	ipfw queue 11 config weight 10 pipe 2 mask all

	ipfw pipe 2 config bw 200Kbit/s

and then see how a ping -f to the outside will not disturb
other IP traffic, while still being able to use the full bandwidth
configured for the pipe.

Please email me if you make use of this feature, or you find bugs, etc.

	cheers
	luigi