Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:02:34 -0600
From:      Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recommended backup solution for a 1U rackmount

Hi,

I am trying to find a reasonable backup (hardware)
solution for a 1U rack-mount machine. I couldn't find
any slim tape drives (that are not SCSI). Here are my
options. Can anyone give more info whether these are
feasible?

1. Buy an external hard-disk (20+ GB or so). Do USB
   external storage work on FreeBSD? Plus I should
   be able to connect and disconnect without reboot.
2. Put a slim CD-R drive on the machine.
3. Put a slim DVD-R ($$) on the machine.
4. rsync/ftp/scp the data out elsewhere.

CD-R has the drawback that I can't fit more than
650 MB on a disk. Copying the data out would mean
I would be paying double for the bandwidth (for
all the data that came in - emails).

Any help is appreciated.

--
Hari Bhaskaran