Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:14:24 -0700
From:      Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. RedHat

Robert G. Waycott wrote:
> undeniably human character, a inexplicably spectral quality of
> being 'alive,' that is far more apt to aid a user solve a problem
> or resolve a conflict or learn something new than sending a not to
> Redhat, use FreeBSD. Whoa, that turned a bit proselytic. Sorry.

   religion...

   prety much all the unix & unix-like systems are more or less same -
some are somewhat better for particular purposes. if you need fairly
heavy hw you'd probably be better of using e.g. solaris. etc...

   my point is that evangelizing one of these systems over another is
somewhat missing the point of unix - interoperability, portability etc.

   e.g. at this point my favourite system is debian linux - but that
doesn't mean I am not quite happy using freebsd at work... (or solaris
at previous work... or even sco unix and interactive unix back in times
when there was no linux or free bsd systems (at least I didn't know of
any)... or ultrix). it's all the same. one can support more processors,
one has better driver support, one has extra good security record etc.
and it changes as these systems evolve...

	erik