Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:26:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        danfe@regency.nsu.ru (Alexey Dokuchaev), Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why don't we search /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include by   default?

> From: danfe@regency.nsu.ru (Alexey Dokuchaev)
> Date: Wed 19 Jun, 2002
> Subject: Re: Why don't we search /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include by   default?

> The idea of ports separated from the base is a lot of help
> when dealing with system upgrade/backup/wipe-out.  Heck, I could have
> simply "rm -rf /usr/local" and get rid of all non-X11 ports I have ;-)
> And still get the box running.

Yes, that separation is invaluable.

> 3-rd party should go in /usr/local (OK, X11 goes in /usr/X11R6), thus
> leaving /usr populated by the base only.  Period.

Except that /usr/local is the wrong place for FreeBSD's binary packages,
since they are quite likely to conflict with *local* policy.  For two decades
my /usr/local has followed a uniform cross-platform policy with an established
structure and administration regime, and it's simply not possible to install
a typical FreeBSD package non-destructively.

I certainly hope that a next generation ports system uses a different default
location: /opt, /usr/pkg, or whatever, but leave /usr/local to *local* policy.

I even have to patch /usr/local out of BSD.usr.dist here (I raised that flag
a long time ago in PR misc/355).

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses