Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 17:01:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Immutable flags (was: Re: WARNING: botched ld.so commit! :-()

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Michael Hancock wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
> > Ummm, INITIAL_IMMUTABLE_LEVEL?  This doesn't mean anything to me.
>
> It was just a suggestion for a kernel config opt.
>
> BSDI and NetBSD uses INSECURE, but this convention would surprise many
> people.  I would like to have an option, I don't really care what it is
> called.
>
> /kernel is marked immutable.  I'd like to be able to configure systems
> such that you can't change the flags unless you are in single user mode
> even if you're root.

I believe you can do this by booting up with securelevel == 0 (as opposed
to the default of -1).  When the system switches to multi-user mode, init
upgrades securelevel to 1, preventing the immutable flags from being
changed.  When downgraded to single-user mode, init changes securelevel
back to 0, allowing you to alter the immutable flags.

Alex