Date:      Wed, 05 Oct 2016 01:58:27 +0300
From:      Arto Pekkanen <isoa@kapsi.fi>
To:        Petr Fischer <petr.fischer@me.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVidia + run X apps from jail

Petr Fischer kirjoitti 03.10.2016 05:15:
> Hello, I have kodi installed in a jail and running it remotely to the
> main host X server with DISPLAY=server:0 kodi...
>
> With vesa driver, it's slow but everything works from jail.
>
> Just bought new NVidia 210 card, installed "nvidia-driver" package,
> but now, every OpenGL application cant't start (when started inside
> jail):
>
> 1) DISPLAY=server:0 xclock (from jail)
> OK
>
> 2) DISPLAY=server:0 glxgears (from jail)
> libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
> libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
>   Value in failed request:  0x0
>   Serial number of failed request:  33
>
> What's the problem? Thanks! pf

Yes, first verify that you can get accelerated GPU support working on
the actual system where you run the X-server. If the nvidia-driver
-package does not work, install one of the other nvidia-driver-* package
and try again. Test the graphics with OpenGL applications.

After you can get OpenGL working locally on the system where X11 server
is running in, next you need to try if you can get AIGLX working. To do
this I would suggest installing the exact nvidia-driver or
nvidia-driver-* package (which you installed in system with X11 server)
inside the jail from where you want to run X11 apps. Aftern this you
should try starting some OpenGL using app from inside the jail with
DISPLAY=server:0 and see what happens.

If the AIGLX option did not work, you have another solution that
requires more work but is way more optimal: VirtualGL. I actually have
used this succesfully on several occassions. To get it working you just
need to read the documentation at
http://www.virtualgl.org/Documentation/Documentation and improvise.
Requires shell scripting, but very doable. You can install VirtualGL via
packages or ports.

--
Arto Pekkanen