Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 2020 12:59:13 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-base and poudriere

On 06/04/20 11:56, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 06/04/2020 09:42, Guido Falsi wrote:
>> On 06/04/20 11:24, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>>> Is it possible to create a poudriere jail using FreeBSD-base packages?
>>>
>>> I am thinking about a scenario where I build kernel/world and base
>>> packages on the host, then create a poudriere jail to build packages on
>>> the exact same kernel/world that was build on the host.
>> I'm doing a similar thing on head. What I do is run normal svn up; make
>> buildworld; make buildkernel; make packages on the poudriere machine. I
>> the upgrade that machine with the new base packages.
>>
>> After that I perform:
>>
>> poudriere jail -j ${j} -u -t 359154
>>
>> where 359154 is the subversion revision I have just compiled in /usr/src.
>>
>> So I get packages for that exact head revision.
>>
>> Hope this answers your question.
>>
>> BTW I have found no way to create a jail with a fixed svn revision from
>> the get go. When I need to do that, I resort to temporarily modifying
>> poudriere code at jail.sh:563, adding -r <rev> option. I then revert the
>> change.
>>

> Thanks, that's interesting. So, poudriere will build the jail from
> sources from that specific revision?

Yes, since it will "svn up -r <rev>" it's source tree for that jail.

It will also invalidate and remove all packages if __FreeBSD_version has
changed.

> But I think it still won't solve the problem where the base packages
> have been build with modified kernel configuration. Can you supply a
> custom kernel configuration in your method?

No I can't, but really a modified kernel configuration should not impact
on ports, do you have a specific scenario?

At most ports interact with kernel sources, whatever the configuration.

> If you have already build the kernel and world on the host, why not use
>
> poudriere jail -c -j 12-1 -v 12.1 -m src=/usr/src

That's an option but I prefer to keep them separated, also because you
will anyway need an updated source tree inside the jail.

But I'm using head, so the scenario is a little different.

For releases I use binary installation and binary updates.

Poudriere will automatically invalidate packages if the release has changed.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>