Date:      Mon, 24 May 2004 14:38:04 -0400
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Third "RFC" on on pkg-data ideas for ports

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 00:07:34 EDT, Garance A Drosihn scribbled these
curious markings:
> The third proposal is basically:
>     a) move most "standard" files into a new pkg-data
>        file, as described in previous proposals, except
>        for pkg-descr and "patch" files.

Yuck. I don't want to have to navigate a large file just to see how
to enable something or change something for a port, or check its plist,
etc.

And, how do you suppose 'make' will work? Are you suggesting hard-coding
it to read pkg-data files? That's extremely kludgish. Alternatively, are
you supposing a totally new command structure to build ports? If so, I=20
commend you for your audacity and bravery. Good luck getting your idea=20
accepted, and keep in mind that you'll be breaking many, many scripts=20
and programs (portupgrade not the least of which...).

>     b) create a new directory at the root directory of
>        the ports collection.  That directory would be
>        called "Patches", and inside would be a directory
>        for each category.  Inside each Patches/category
>        directory would be a single-file for each port
>        in that category, where that single-file would
>        have all the "ports-collection patches" for the
>        matching port.

What's wrong with files/ ? Remember, there are things in files/ that
aren't always just patches. Take a look at net/dictd/files for example.
If you plan to keep files/ for non-patch files, I don't like that idea
either. I don't want to have to use three '../'s to switch between=20
viewing non-patch files and viewing patch files. See below about "more
typing".

>     c) [minor] in the pkg-data section for distinfo, I'd
>        like to change the format for each file from, eg:
>     MD5 (bash-2.05b.tar.gz) =3D 5238251b4926d778dfe162f6ce729733
>     SIZE (bash-2.05b.tar.gz) =3D 1956216
>     5238251b4926d778dfe162f6ce729733 1956216 bash-2.05b.tar.gz

I don't have a problem with this, as it increases the scriptability
factor. Though I'd prefer to see that replace distinfo, rather than go
into your panacea file.

> result in as dramatic a drop in inodes, but it has the nice
> side-effect that Patches are separated from all the other files.

In all honesty, why would you want to do that? It's just more typing.
And from the perspective of a Perl programmer, that's a Cardinal Sin,=20
as it breaks the Holy Virtue of Laziness.

> Thus, end-users could 'cvsup refuse' the patches for categories
> that they do not care about, and it would not break operations
> which work on the entire ports collection (such as `make index').

Not that I've tried this, but ... can't you just use a mask like
ports/graphics/*/files/ or such to refuse patch files?

> So, should we pursue any of this?

I like the idea of item c, with the proviso that I added. I wouldn't be=20
so against all of this if you weren't suggesting things that as I=20
understand them would require more work for me to garner information=20
=66rom the ports tree. The whole "all data in one file" idea reminds me=20
of Microsoft for some reason.

--=20
pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
-
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy--