Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:39:35 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 17353 for review

Scott Long [scott_long@btc.adaptec.com] wrote :

> I'm really consfused.  Nowhere in the diff does it mention libkse.  I'm
> also confused as to why 'libkse' is less confusing that 'libpthread'.

The Makefile makes and installs "libkse" not "libpthread." -- i.e.,
LIB=kse in Makefile.

The problem is this: We're going to have both this library and the
old libc_r active at the same time. Eventually, the KSE version of
pthreads will be default (perhaps even the only option), and will
be linked via -lpthread. Right now, -pthread is basically just an
alias for -lc_r. Linking against pthreads via -lpthead is a common
method on other OS's, and it wuold be quite easy for users to
accidentally get the KSE version, especially with autoconf involved.

We want people to have to explicitly request linking with the KSE version,
thus calling it 'libkse' in the short term.

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.freebsd.org/