Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:10:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD ISP <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache FrontPage Module Port Completed

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

> I STRONGLY recommend that NOBODY load a botch of this kind on ANYTHING.
>
> SUID root programs for file transfers should be confined to those which have
> many YEARS of experience under their belts - like ftpd.  There is absolutely
> NO REASON that Microsoft could not support FTP transfers from Frontpage, and
> if they did, this entire security fiasco would be moot.
>
> And yes, I've told Microsoft this -- for almost two years.
>
> They don't care, and until they do, I'm not risking my machines on their
> no-source code.

There is more to it than that.  Yes, you can use FrontPage to upload
files via ftp.  If you don't use their special CGIs (erm... "bots"
or whatever they call them), you can use FrontPage no problem without
anything special installed on the server.  The problem is their
CGIs that implement "pretty" things for FP users.

The problem with the extensions traditionally has been that they
modify the server config files each time a new site is created,
they all run as the same user letting anyone modify the content or
the web server config files, you need seperate copies of their huge
CGIs for each site even though they are the same, etc.

With the FrontPage 98 extensions for Apache, they added a fpexe
program and a patch to Apache to no longer require the changes to
the config file and to let the CGIs run as the user who owns the
web.  fpexec is a setuid root program, similar to suexec, that
changes UIDs to the user before running the CGIs.  Yes, one of the
CGIs allows users to upload their web site.  The source to fpexe
is available.

In their first release they were absolute morons:

	http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/fp/

They have since released a "fixed" version.  It appears better,
but I haven't yet had time to fully review it; they take care of
the obvious things I pointed out in the first release anyway.
There are still issues, and still may be gaping holes, but they
are far less obvious.  Since you have the source code to the only
program they want you to make setuid root, you can judge the risk
yourself like I did with the first release.

The risk you are left open to is that if there is a hole in fpexe
that you can't see when you review it then someone can possibly
gain root.  The other risk is that if there is a hole in their
CGI scripts then someone can possibly gain access to the account
of any user running them; this may or may not be an issue.

You have to be careful to divide the security issues into the proper
different zones of risk.  One is instant root.  Many people dislike
that a lot.  Another is the possibility of compromising user
accounts.  Many people dislike that, but to some it is less
significant.