Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 19:02:02 +0000
From:      Charlie & <root@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jamie Lawrence <jal@thirdage.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive geometry for IBM Ultrastar

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 05:21:30PM -0800, Jamie Lawrence wrote:
> Hi -
>
> This isn't strictly on charter, so I hope people don't mind.
>
> I bought 2 IBM drives, one the DRVS-18V and the other the DRVS-9V,
> 18 and 9 gig 10,000 RPM drives. They didn't come with geometry info,
> and I can't find it anywhere. I can find that there are 7065 cylinders,
> and 10 platters, 20 heads on the 18G disk, and 5/10 on the 9. The
> sector size is configurable, 512-732 bytes.
>
> What I can't find it the number of tracks, or how many sectors per
> track (assuming, say, 512 byte sectors).
>
> Does anyone know a way to derive this information? Or does anyone
> have these drives and know? I broke down and called IBM tech support,
> and they don't seem to know either, and just promised a call back which
> never came.

Using camcontrol -m 3 on a DRVS-9V gives me 272 sectors / track. (the
number of tracks is just the number of cylinders * heads/cylinder, so
you know that.)

This is fairly useless though, as modern disks have more sectors in
some tracks than others. What you probably are looking for is the BIOS
geometry, which depends on the BIOS, is needed for booting and has
even less to do with the drive itself.

My BIOS geometry is:
255 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track, 1116 Cylinders.

This is using an Asus P2-BS mobo's built in 7890 and BIOS, but this
translation is fairly standard AFAIK (for drives between 1 and 8GB.
Luckily everything bootable is below 8G on this disk.)