Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:08:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Manish Jain <jain@sirius.pc.cis.udel.edu>
To:        <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   window scaling in TCP

Hello,

I had posted a query regarding window scaling option in TCP  sometime
last week too.
After that I did attempt to look in to the FreeBsd Code but could
not find much.

I am posting my query again.

In my application program , I set the TCP send/recv buffer to 500 K bytes
using setsock opt.
Since this is greater than 64 K , TCP stack must set the wscale ( window
scale option ) in the SYN packet.

What I discovered is a bit interesting --
If I set the buffer to upto 200 Kbyte ( approx ) , the wscale bit is
set ( I observed thru tcpdump ).
But if I try to increase my buffer beyond that, then the wscale bit is
set to 0 and the advertized window is 16 Kbyte.

I think this is happening  because of some MAX limit in the
header/configuration file.

Does anyone know of this ?

manish.