Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:31:12 +0200
From:      Soso Lolex <sosobsd@email.ro>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: FreeBSD 4.5 instalation failure

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Soso Lolex wrote:
>
> > I burned the images of FreeBSD 4.5 on CD's and everything was ok
> > in installation process until it started copying data. When
> > copying process of /bin directory reached 100% I got an error
> > something like "cannot copy \bin bla bla" though I browsed the CD
> > and eveything was ok. I even tried to install it from a DOS
> > partition where I extracted the content of the original image an I
> > got the same error.
>
> Is it possible that you were running out of space on the partitions
> that you tried to install on?
>
> > Any sugestions?? (btw, the cd was burned correctly and the images
> > were downloaded via FTP so I dont see where's the problem)
>
> Post more details about the hardware you have, and the options you
> selected while trying to install.
>
> For instance, useful information would be:
>
> a) What disks you have on that machine.
>
> b) What slices (DOS calls them partitions) the disks have.
>
> c) What partitions did you create in sysinstall's menus.
>
> d) What packages did you select to have installed?
>
> - Giorgos

okay, here are more deails:

  I have one disk (Western digital 6.4 Gb) on which i had before installed FreeBSD 4.5 , 256Mb memory, Duron 700 Mhz;
  So, when I tried to install FreeBSD 4.5 I had one DOS partition (FAT32/Win2k) and I also created a BSD partition 2.8 Gb (/), and a swap partition of about 150 Mb.
  It is not possible to run out of disk space because after some failed installations I choose to instal only "user" packages, without development packages or X packages, and the installation process still failed the same.

  So, I personally give up, I simply dont see what is wrong.