Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:18:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.2 port is a horror!!

> After a lot of testing and searching I finally found the answer.

> I pkg_deinstalled all the XFree86-4 stuff I had installed. When I started
> I just had one pkg, the meta-port, but along the way had pieces and part of
> 4.2 installed after failing time and time again with portupgrade.
> Doing a pkg_deinstall -f all those packages was necessary.

> Then I went into the ports *in the following order* and did a "make
> && make install && make clean":

> XFree86-4-libraries/
> XFree86-4-clients/
> XFree86-4-documents/
> XFree86-4-manuals/
> XFree86-4/  (don't forget this one!)

> Before doing this I also uninstalled imake, since in my investigation
> XFree68-4 seemed to compile better when it had to rebuilt it.

FWIW, I don't remember meeting any significant problems in installing X 'by
hand', i.e. without portupgrade, just within the ports framework: in other
words, by deinstalling the old version before installing the new one, as usual
(well, er, as was the usual and recommended procedure in the golden olden days
:-))

I seem to recall, or rather I seem to have read on the lists, that portupgrade
couldn't -- cannot yet? -- automagically[*] deal with the XFree86-4 port, and
direct, if simple, manual action was recommended.  IIRC, this is the only (?)
case portupgrade can't (as yet) manage properly.

[*] à la Loseblows Update.

BTW, pkgdb(1)[**] suggests a quick recipe for inspecting your 'local' tree for
any cruft.  In this connection, the X option of find(1) may prove useful.

[**] Cf. the EXAMPLES section.

> FWIW, I did all of this from Konsole while running KDE. X continued
> to run fine until all of
> it got installed several hours later on my 400 mhz box and then restarted X.

No, sorry, so far I have always done it from an actual console :-))

-- Salvo