Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:12:37 -0500
From:      "Wyatt Nordstrom" <wyattn@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        drkhoe@gmsnet.com
Cc:        Ruan <ruan@ctech.ac.za>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with installing MySQL under FBSD. pliz.

I do not know of an off the shelf web front end for mysql. I use mysql as
the database for a web site. Most of my scripts were written in c. They
were too easy. My first program took about an hour. Most of the time was
spent figuring out that I had to include libraries and include
directories.

The command line to compile under freebsd 2.2.7 stable is:
gcc -L/usr/local/lib/mysql -I/usr/local/include/mysql file.c -lmysqlclient
-lm

Check out the c api section of the mysql manual. This shows you everything
you need to know about the api. In addition, I did a search on the web for
mysql tutorials. There are plenty out there, and some of them are very
detailed explaining the api. This is where I got the most help about
programming to interface to mysql.

About PHP, I initially looked into PHP, and like DOC, I installed Apache
with php. Although, I have not used php so far (mainly because of my c
background and time constraints), the interface to mysql is simple. Very
easy to use. If you are looking for a simple interface that works great on
the web, and you have the time for the learning curve, PHP is probably the
way to go. By the way, there are some great web resources on php. Just
find the php home page, and your off to the races.