Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:15:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rotaru Razvan <roti_343@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   terminal incompatibility

Sorry for the inconvinence, i accidently pushed "send" before finishing
the mail, so here is the complete message:

Hello,

Well this is just another mail about a problem i think a lot of people
have. As i noticed by default terminals in bsd are named cons25. My
problem? no compatibility with linux terminals (or with xterm).
First of all some console applications behave different in cons25 and
xterm (for instance sysinstall: is colorful and nice in cons25, b&w and
totally messed up un xterm). Vim has problems with the keyboard
(doesn't recognize "up arrow" ,"down arrow" ...). Midnight Commander is
b&w in cons25.
So you see a lot of problems with these terminals. Generally I think
they arise because most of applications where not designed for bsd
terminals.
I figured out a solution may be to make all terminals linux-type
(assuming that I use most of the time, linux-terminal applications. So
I edited /etc/ttys and changed "cons25" to "linux". And this is the
point where everithing stops working. Well Midnight Commander is
colorful but messed up. Not even ee works anymore.
Maybe some of you guy can give me a hand on this, how to make all
linux-terminal applications work with bsd.

Second question:
Is it necessary to have linux compatibility installed, in order to have
java(jdk13) in bsd? What does this compatbility mean? doesn't it affect
memory usage and speed of the system? to tell you frankly i don't like
the sound of it.

Thanks anyway,
Razvan