Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 23:59:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      agent smith <quantum9@freenet.nether.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD at LinuxWorld.

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 11:31:14PM -0500, agent smith wrote:
> > I'm sorry , but i didn't find the li'l red devils to be all that
> > impressive.  And I'm sure they just LOVED being oggled by computer
> > hackers.  ("hey baby, nice software").  I remember going to ski trade
> > shows where they did the same thing.  The girls really would have
> > preferred to be *anywhere* else.
>
> You know, I strongly disagree with your example. I happen to be one of
> the top HS downhill racers in my state. Your stereotype about women and
> skiing is completely unjustified. Go find something else to debunk.
> (I admit that the average woman who goes skiing doesn't necessarily
> race, however, the point is that you're speaking entirely based on your
> stereotypes of the women you saw - not from actual experience.)

Let me qualify what i said.  Maybe i was unclear.  And you are correct, i
did not speak to them.  I wasn't even at the show.  So if you want to slam
me for jumping to conclusions, that's fine, i accept the chastisement.

However, what i was referring to was not women in skiing, or women in
computers, it was what i *have* seen at trade shows: models paid to
attract attention through sex appeal.  Now, i'm not looking to start a war
on women's rights or say i don't enjoy beauty when i see it.  But there
are two possibilities: either those two girls are big computer fans and
volunteered to pose and support FreeBSD (in which case my conclusions were
rash and unjustified) or they were paid models who wouldn't know kernel
code from kernel corn.

It just reminds me of a picture that circulated the Linux crowd of a
barely teenaged girl in her underwear and a babydoll T-shirt with "I love
Linux" on it standing in front of a Cray..  I was disappointed in linux,
and I am only glad that (apparently) FreeBSD at least chose appropriately
aged models.

> Not ironically, some of the best female racers I know are also some of
> the sexiest women I know.
>
> I am assuming at this time that you have not spoken to either of the two
> women in the picture, and therefore know nothing about their hobbies (I
> don't, either). You are, thus, speaking based on your stereotypes.

Only the stereotype that cute women dressed alluringly at high-tech trade
shows who pose for pictures and pretend to like all the guys that greet
them are USUALLY being paid for it.  I can't imagine that computer trade
shows are that different from any other trade show.  The only exception
would be if they truly ARE FreeBSD afficionados and volunteered to pose at
the booth.  Even that possibility raises some questions.

I won't even get into the giant devil mascot  :-)  I'm sure there were
penguins too.  Guess i'm just not much of a mascot-and-model type.