Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 23:29:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing packages

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I have a 3.0 snapshot cd.
>
> I installed it (it installed fine).
>
> I find the sysinstall program a bit too dangerous...
> What I want is to see what packages are available to
> install (I'm willing to do a pkg_add -p /usr/local <>).

On the cdroms (I don't have the 3.0 snap) there's a
directory /cdrom/packages/All that lists all packages
alphabetically.  There's usually an INDEX file with a
brief description.

There may also be a /cdrom/packages/*/ where * is the category,
e.g., editors, lang, www.

There's also /cdrom/ports/*/*/pkg/DESCR, where /*/*/ are the
category and name of the port.  This DESCR provides the most
information; most ports are available as packages, but not all.
The packages install as binaries; the ports use source and get
compiled.  In both cases the package is registered in /var/db/pkg.
If you installed the ports collection in /usr/ports, the port
descriptions will be in /usr/ports/*/*/pkg/DESCR.

I once wrote a script to collect all the descriptions in a
category but can't find it.

> I also don't want to execute any commands as root
> (I have /usr/local chmod to 777.)
>
> I read the handbook and faq, and it didn't say much
> on how to deal with packages (unless you wanted to
> write a new port...lots of information on that).
>
> marty		leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
> Don't  confuse education with schooling.
> 	Milton Friedman to Yogi Berra

	Annelise