Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:10:52 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change link speed/duplex on a 3Com 3CCFE574BT ?

In message <39A461BA.B8E3E3AC@lucent.com> "Gary T. Corcoran" writes:
: I managed to get my 3Com 3CCFE574BT 10/100 ethernet PC-Card going on
: FreeBSD 4.1 when connected to a 100Mb hub, but I still have one problem.
: I sometimes need to connect to a 10Mb network, and then the card doesn't
: work.  No green light, no connectivity.  How does one change the link
: speed and/or duplex settings for this card?  I tried using the 'media'
: argument to ifconfig, but every keyword after 'media' seems to be rejected,
: as if 'media' is not supported for this card.  I then tried using the older
: 'link' flags, 0, 1 and 2, and all eight combinations didn't seem to make
: any difference.   So what's the magic incantation?   ;-)

ifconfig ep0 media 10baseT/UTP

should do the trick.  At least it does for the rl driver here at
work.  The cards we're using has a poor autonegitation skills (don't
know if this is a driver or a device issue, since I moved on to other
problems after discovering the workaround).

Warner