Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:10:28 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 08:51:24PM +1100, Rowan Crowe wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
>
> > Hmm I have never noticed the link light go out... And I actualy do
> > force the config in my rc.conf, I have "media 10baseT/UTP up" as
> > the strings for mine...
>
> The ADSL link itself is up, but the path to the host you're running the
> PPPoE tunnel with is broken.
>
> > I am convinced now that this is caused by telstra dropping out and
> > the send que filling up... But why does it not empty? Is there some
> > way to fix this??? Would upping the mbufs work? Because the way I
> > see it if I increase them it will just fill them all anyway if the
> > link is down long enough??
>
> Does PPPoE have LCP echo or other link quality measuring facilities like
> LQR? If so, set it up so that it detects when the other end dies, downs
> the interface, then retries logins periodically, succeeding when the path
> is again working.

This is what I had to do with my PPPoE ADSL link to Centurytel.  I have about
15 minutes of downtime per day with them.  They just disappear.

Centurytel's equipment sends ECHO LQR requests but ppp doesn't seem to care
if those stop coming in.  My connection just stayed down until I added the
LQR requests to my ppp.conf:

 enable lqr
 set lqrperiod 30

Now my ppp.log shows my router box redialing and not seeing any PPPoE traffic
(or carrier?) for 5 to 30 minutes after the LQR monitoring dies.

At least they usually do come back up.

--
Scott Lambert          KC5MLE            Unix SysAdmin -- Looking for work.
lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html