Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 21:55:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Double buffered cp(1)

Has anyone attempted to create a double buffered version of cp(1)? When
copying from one disk to another, disk activity seems to ping-pong between
the two, rather than keeping both active at the same time.

If I were to fork and do something similar to afio, or maybe even doing
something weird like using sendfile(it's faster than it sounds, and
zero-copy), does anyone think I'd see any kind of speed boost?

I'm effectively getting a little less than half the performance of just
writing files filled with zero's, so I'm guessing this is where the
bottleneck is, correct?

-- Kevin