Date:      Wed, 02 May 2012 18:27:56 -0700
From:      Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>
To:        trent@snakebite.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing sysctl options for isp driver

On 5/2/2012 1:39 PM, Trent Nelson wrote:
> [Resending from non-broken MTA.]
>
> Hi Matt,
>
>      isp(4) mentions the following sysctl options:
>
>         dev.isp.N.loop_down_limit
>             This value says how long to wait in seconds after loop has gone
>             down before giving up and expiring all of the devices that were
>             visible.  The default is 300 seconds (5 minutes).  A separate
>             (nonadjustable) timeout is used when booting to not stop booting
>             on lack of FC connectivity.
>
>         dev.isp.N.gone_device_time
>             This value says how long to wait for devices to reappear if they
>             (temporarily) disappear due to loop or fabric events.  While this
>             timeout is running, I/O to those devices will simply be held.
>
>         dev.isp.N.wwnn
>             This is the readonly World Wide Node Name value for this port.
>
>         dev.isp.N.wwpn
>             This is the readonly World Wide Port Name value for this port.
>
>      I'm not seeing any of these in 9.0-stable.  There doesn't seem to be any
>      occurrence of SYSCTL_ADD_* in /usr/src/sys/dev/isp.

r227126 | mjacob | 2011-11-05 17:44:40 -0700 (Sat, 05 Nov 2011) | 4 lines

Implement the sysctl's for fibre channel that are listed in the man page.

MFC after:      3 days

Guess it didn't make it into RELENG_9.

>      Thoughts?
>
>      Out of interest, what's the current state of isp on FreeBSD?  I had a peek
>      at NetBSD and OpenBSD's isp drivers and it looks like you've been involved
>      in all of them at some point or another.
>
>      Are they all in sync or is one leading the pack?  (I'm keen to hear if
>      there are isp changes on other platforms I can merge back into FreeBSD;
>      all the x86/amd64 boxes on the Snakebite network run FreeBSD and have
>      QLogic PCI-X 23xx (single&  dual port) cards hooking them up to the SAN,
>      so the isp driver is a pretty critical part of my infrastructure.)

Yes, I wrote them all. This driver is part of a multiplatform driver
that I started at NASA/Ames in 1997 that has run on FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
NetBSD, BSDi, Solaris, Linux and few other random systems. At the time I
started it, I was of the opinion that it didn't cost much extra effort
and performance to write drivers in OS-independent and OS-dependent
pieces. This all goes back to my days at Sun doing the Solaris DDI/DKI
and involvement in the OBIOS and other "common framework" toads.
Nowadays it hardly matters.

FreeBSD is the most up to date, but certainly has bugs in target mode. I
no longer am a committer for OpenBSD and haven't refreshed the NetBSD
port in quite some time.

I've just gotten some paid work that will allow me time to fix a number
of the items that are currently broken, but because I believe that the
following two things are true, there isn't a lot of plans for major work
on it at this time:

  * Fibre Channel is not very interesting at this point. IMO it's now in
    legacy mode while CNA/100Gb and/or faster and faster Infiniband will
    become the long haul data transport. SAS and/or PCIe GEN3 will
    handle the within rack transport.
  * I'm /really/ tired of this driver.

23XX cards are pretty old at this point. In fact, the 25XX cards are
pretty old.

Did you have specific bugs you were concerned with?

Note, btw, that freebsd-scsi is a better list to bring up FC or SCSI
related topics.