Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 17:36:00 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        smpatel@prognet.com
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RealVideo-5.0 and FreeBSD

Our sound driver API is the linux sound driver 3.5.

What is currently on 2.2 and 3.0 is the linux sound driver 3.0.

The guspnp series of sound driver which I have been supporting for
over a year is the linux sound driver 3.5 plus some hacks like
support of user land dma I/O which is mostly used for applications
such as Quake.

Luigi's sound driver eventually will be linux sound driver 3.5 compliant
right now is not. It is a huge task and is going rather well so if
you are a  sound driver level hacker now is a good time
to join and make a difference rather than later bitching about it.

If you have a commercial product then I suggest to just get the OSS
sound driver : http://www.4front-tech.com/

This just means that while we are in the process of rebuilding the sound driver
you have the option *today* of coding up to the API .

With the respect to the video capture there is no reason that I can think
of why RealNetworks is not supporting the Bt848 driver. If you guys have
specific issues just mail me . Currently, the Bt848 driver is available
for FreeBSD 2.2 and FreeBSD 3.0 -current with no change in the driver.
You can also you check out our new Bt848 driver web page:

http://www.freebsd.org/~ahasty/Bt848.html

I know this is not related however right now we (the multimedia group)
 are really having a ball with Randall Hopper's fxtv :

  http://multiverse.com/~rhh/fxtv

Excerpt from the announcement:
"
HIGHLIGHTS:

Video Window Annotation for changes in Station, Input Device, Tuner Mode,
Volume, and Mute should make it more enjoyable to surf when zoomed
full-screen. "

Additionally  it can  generate mpeg files (non-realtime).

	Regards,
	Amancio