Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2012 20:42:49 +0200
From:      George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 9 & recompile ports

Greetings all and my apologies for cross posting!

There seems to be a confusion regarding the ABI change in FreeBSD 9
and if this affects the usual upgrade path which includes a full port
rebuild.

The relevant post is here: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=28831

Frankly, I am also confused because I remember a relevant discussion a
few months ago in the lists. Traditionally a major RELEASE upgrade
requires a full ports rebuild, however this time there is no
COMPAT_FREEBSD8 in GENERIC and most upgraded systems seem to be
working fine. On the other hand this is stated in UPDATING:

20110828:
        Bump the shared library version numbers for libraries that
        do not use symbol versioning, have changed the ABI compared
        to stable/8 and which shared library version was not bumped.
        Done as part of 9.0-RELEASE cycle.

Your input would be appreciated!

Regards,

--