Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 17:50:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dosfsck anyone?

> > > main stumbling block, though, is that clusters (other than the
> > > first directory cluster) will be missing '.' and '..' entries.
>
> > 2)	"." and ".." are artifacts of the search interface, not
> > 	artifacts of directory structure contents in a FAT/VFAT/VFAT32
> > 	file system.
> >

> ??? What does that mean, they're "artifacts of the search interface..."
>
> It's been years since I used MS-DOS enough to care about poking around
> in the file system with Norton Utilities, but as I recall "." and ".."
> are just like any other directory entry in a directory.

They are faked up (at least they are under Win95).

I think "." is always faked... ".." might actually be there instead
of implied by the link -- though if it were, then hard links could be
supported under DOS, at least for files.

You can "cd ..." to go up two directories in DOS, "...." for three, etc..

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.