Date:      Wed, 17 May 2006 15:30:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        kyrreny@broadpark.no (Kyrre Nygard)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Dean Darmawan <deandp87@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Kids from Indonesia

> At 20:21 17.05.2006, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > >
> > > Assalamu'alaikum Wr. Wb.
> > > Hi there, I'm Dean Darmawan and still 18y/o. Well, i get interested with
> > > Fedora 5, but the main problem are "can this distro Linux recognize my
> > > internal modem 56k that I ussally use to get connected to the Internet?"
> > > For that kind of reason, i got confuse and step back!! My modem now is
> > > D-Link DFM-562IS HSFi PCI Modem. Thanx, best regard.
> >
> >The first thing you need to realize it that FreeBSD is not LINUX or
> >any flavor or 'distro' of LINUX.  FreeBSD is a complete operating
> >system that had its birthing in the BSD (Berkley) UNIX in the wee
> >early days of UNIX.   Check on the   http://www.freebsd.org/  web site
> >for more information.
> >
> >Second, FreeBSD is a complete OS and as such can talk to modems and nic
> >cards, and most other peripherals.   The information is on the FreeBSD
> >web site.
> >
> >FreeBSD is a superior free UNIX.  It takes  a little extra time to
> >learn, but is worth the effort.  Enjoy learning and using FreeBSD.
> >
> >////jerry
>
> Jerry, did you expect to be understood? :)
>
> Mr. Dean's skills in English is yet not that great.
>
> The information you provided him with is something he will naturally
> pick up at a time where he is able to understand. Just saying something
> like `yes' would suffice. In his case to make him check out FreeBSD,
> which is the best we can currently hope for.

Let's not be too patronizing.   People whose English is not native
are still well able to understand concepts, including differences
between computer OSen for those who are working on computers.
There is a high level of sophistication in these areas and an eagerness
to learn and work things through.

////jerry