Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:21:33 +0100
From:      Gustau Perez Querol <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cloning VLAN interfaces

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:02:24 +0000, Matt Burke wrote:
> On 03/20/12 14:54, Gustau Perez Querol wrote:
>>      VBoxManage modifyvm "FreeBSD virtual machine" --nic1 bridge
>> --nictype
>> bridge virtio --bridgeadapter vlan10
>
> On my machines running virtualbox-ose-4.0.14, VBoxManage won't accept
> vlan
> interfaces either - I need to kill the GUI then edit the config files
> change the physical interface to vlanN.

   Mmm, I first tried the 4.1.51r40008 (the devel one). Now I'm running
4.1.X (from redports) and the VBoxManage accepts an vlan interface as a
bridged interface.

> Also, when altering any other setting by the GUI, the process needs
> repeating.

   That is correct, I have just checked that behavior and it also
happens to me. I also noticed that the vbox GUI gets confused only if
you go the properties of the machine using a bridged vlan interface. If
you don't go to the properties of the virtual machine, you will see in
the panel on the right side that the virtual interfaces remain bridged
to your real vlan interfaces.

   It would appear I've been lucky, as I'm running vbox in a headless
machine so I have always used the TUI (which doesn't get confused about
using vlan interfaces).

   If you succeed with ng, please let us know, I'm interested in
netgraph. If you don't, at least you know you can do it by using the
VBoxManage tool...

   Gustau