Date:      Wed, 20 May 2015 10:52:22 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>,  "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ASLR work into -HEAD ?

Hello Shawn;

What ever happened to the performance, does it still have a
noticeable effect even when disabled?

I have no technical opinion on the patch, but ...

TBH, the problem I see is that ASLR is so widespread that every
potential attacker already knows how to defeat it. Yes, it is meant
only as a mitigation technique but if it only buys you 5 min.
(at most) I don't see much advantage in obfuscating the VM.

Just IMHO ... I am not a player in that area and I don't maintain
the underlying code so I don't approve or reject anything.

Pedro.