Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:33:33 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How hard would it be...

At 19:28 09.04.00 -0600, you wrote:
>... to get FreeBSD to boot off a BSD partition that wasn't labeled as
>0xa5?  I'm looking for a way to create a disk that a certain picky
>BIOS will like and boot off of, and I think I have to create it with a
>certain ID and then it will be happy.  I suspect that it involves
>hacking the boot blocks, the boot loader and the kernel's idea of the
>BSD partition number in disk*subr.c.  Are there other things that are
>needed?  I may be barking up the wrong tree in trying to get around
>this BIOS's pickiness, but I thought I'd at least ask.
>
>Yes, this is for a well-known, cheap internet device, which shall
>remain nameless. I've already OPENed mine up.  a real lookER.

Hi!

Well, if we are talking about the same device, rumors went that the BIOS of
that thingie may be reprogrammed via internet.
BIOS update in that way also involve disabling IDE parts...
I don't know if that is only booting or the whole part..
Have seen some hardware rewiring on another mailing list to prevent that
mangling of BIOS.

If there is interest, let me know, and I'll look it up.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)