Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:13:50 +0100
From:      Emanuel Haupt <ehaupt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Sahil Tandon <sahil@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Should I be adding LICENSE info to my ports?

Sahil Tandon <sahil@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 16:17:29 -0800, Charlie Kester wrote:
>
> > Today on FreshPorts I see some bulk commits adding LICENSE info to
> > 40+ ports. And I've noticed LICENSE being added in many other recent
> > commits.
>
> Right, ehaupt@ updated several of his ports to include LICENSE.

I was very reluctant to do so but now that the license framework has
been around for some time I thought I give it a go.

As Sahil pointed out it's entirely up to you. Better have no license
specified if you're not sure about it. You can not always trust the
included COPYING file. There are many cases where a port comes with
several different licenses. I found that cross checking with different
linux distros could often bring some clarification.

Emanuel