Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:25:09 +0100
From:      Ian Morrison <ian@darq.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rick Hunter <boyadores@yahoo.com>, tech <tech@ib.com.ua>
Subject:   Re: pop3 server with ACL

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 04:39:31PM +0800, Rick Hunter wrote:

> The /etc/hosts.allow contains an example already.
> Look for it there.

i don't know the answer to this question, but i don't think the replies
so far address what's being asked for:

>> Hi ...
>> Does anybody know pop3 server with ACL support ... something like
>> allow username 127.0.0.0/8

ie,

blarg connects from 192.168.1.1/24 and henry connects from 192.168.10.7
henry can't connect from blargs range, and vice versa.

this would allow you to add large ranges, like an isp's modem racks, but
only allow users to connect as the correct user for that range.

is this possible, and if not, is it even desirable?  i've only seen this
kind of functionality on software like war-ftpd..  it seems to me that
the ability to restrict access based on ip and username (in the pop or
http auth sense, not ident) would be, at the very least, pleasant.

ian
--
:: darq.net /#/             :: live to kourier, kourier to live