Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:25:10 +1300
From:      David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
To:        Tymanthius Rune Speak <tymanthius@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More NATD/IPFW woes . . .

At 09:46 14/03/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>/sbin/ipfw -f flush
>      "     add divert natd all from any to any via ed1 #ed1 is to my INTERNAL
>net
>      "     add pass all from any to any

OK. You want to apply address translation to packets leaving the gateway
machine and heading off onto the internet, so it's via ed0. I also have
mine saying 'divert natd ip from' rather than 'all', couldn't tell you if
this makes any difference!

More critically (as Daryl pointed out) the natd daemon isn't running. The
address translation takes place in user space, not in the kernel. Since
address translation typically takes place onto a low(ish) bandwidth
connection this isn't a problem and even your 486 will barely notice over -
say - a cable modem. Anyway, this basically means that natd should appear
in your process list - and this is your biggest problem. Put this into rc.conf:

    natd_enable="YES"
    natd_interface="ed0"

And rebooting the box should bring up the natd process ready to be attached
to the external port.

One more no brainer: Have you set the gateway (default router) for the bsd
box to get onto the internet? (in rc.conf: defaultrouter="x.x.x.x")

Once you have it up and going you might want to think about the number of
services you have enabled. I'm really paranoid about security (due to
basically not knowing enough) and run with as few processes as possible.
All it takes is a few lines in rc.conf (again):

    cron_enable="NO"
    inetd_enable="NO"
    portmap_enable="NO"

And you're away.