Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2012 09:10:03 +0000
From:      Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
To:        Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ron McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org>
Subject:   Re: [PREVIEW] bsdconfig(8)

On Mon Mar  5 12, Devin Teske wrote:
> [...]
> named bsdconfig(8).
>
> bsdconfig(8), together with already-existing bsdinstall(8), should fill the
> gap(s) when sysinstall(8) goes-away in FreeBSD-10.
>
> bsdconfig(8) is being designed with the intention of being MFC'd to 9, so that
> sysinstall(8) and bsdconfig(8) can co-exist side-by-side while the bugs are
> worked out in RELENG_9.
>
> Later down the road, 10.0 would have only bsdinstall(8) and bsdconfig(8)
> (sysinstall(8) would no longer be provided).
>
> Thus, allowing a smooth transition away from sysinstall(8).
>
> With all that being said, without further ado, let me introduce the latest
> preview:
>
> http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/bsdconfig/
>
> NOTE: As of this writing, latest version is "bsdconfig.120305.txz" obtainable
> from the above directory
>
> PRE-REQUISITES:
>
> You need an already-checked-out version of the FreeBSD source tree (preferably
> 9.0 or higher).
>
> INSTRUCTIONS:
>
> 	1. cd /usr/src
> 	2. fetch http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/bsdconfig/bsdconfig.120305.txz
> 	3. tar zxf bsdconfig.120305.txz
> 	4. cd bsdconfig
> 	5. sudo make install
>
> HOW TO USE:
>
> 	bsdconfig -h
> 	bsdconfig
>
> NOTE: If sudo(8) is installed, no need to run as root (bsdconfig will handle
> this for you -- if/when root privileges are needed, you'll be prompted for your
> sudo(8) credentials).
>
> If you have an X11 display and have xauth(1) installed, try this in an X11
> session:
>
> 	bsdconfig -X
>
> Some other things to try for fun:
>
> 	bsdconfig hostname
> 		# jump directly to hostname configuration
>
> 	bsdconfig users
> 		# jump directly to user management
>
> 	bsdconfig networking
> 		# jump directly to network management
>
> 	bsdconfig defaultrouter
> 		# jump directly to defaultrouter configuration
>
> 	bsdconfig nameservers
> 		# jump directly to DNS nameserver configuration
>
> 	bsdconfig docsinstall
> 		# jump directly to documentation installation
>
> 	bsdconfig timezone
> 		# jump directly to timezone configuration
>
> 	bsdconfig timezone -X
> 		# Configure the timezone using X11 GUI
>
> 	bsdconfig timezone -h
> 		# See timezone usage (for which there are many options)
>
> ERRATA:
>
> "Documentation Installation" is fully functional
> "Network Management" is fully functional
> "Time Zone" is fully functional
>
> and
>
> "Login/Group Management" is mostly functional (group add/edit/delete not done
> yet)
>
> Rest of the remaining modules are not functional yet.
>
> We continue to work very hard on this every day and look forward to any/all
> feedback, comments, suggestions, and snide remarks.

great work. a few questions or rather suggestions:

1) why are there two ways to exit bsdconfig? one being "X Exit" and the other
   one being "<Exit bsdconfig>"?
2) the highlighted first letters suggest that these are shortcuts. they work
   great for the actual menu items, but for "<OK>" and "<Exit bsdconfig>",
   pressing O and E doesn't work. in fact E is already taken by "Startup".
3) when bsdconfig starts the note regarding the packages shouldn't state
   "Pascal". most people probably don't know what pascal is. ;) how about
   VirtualBox or chromium? these packages are probably used by a lot more
   users.
4) do we really need fdisk and disklabel? hasn't freebsd moved onto gpart
   and glabel?

cheers.
alex