Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:34:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk (Steve Roome)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YMF719 - configuration hell!

> So, the question now is, why does it support ALT_PCM but not PCM, and
> what exactly does that mean to me ?

no idea...

> > > no matter what one does to the card in FreeBSD it only ever gets out
> > > about 50% the volume that the Windows driver manages on plain audio.
> >
> > kind of known problem -- the yamaha has some extra registers for
> > overall volume setting which are not handled by the driver. In fact there
> > is some code which deals with such registers on the YMF711/715 (i think
> > -- i am using them on the libretto) but just sets them to max volume.
>
> Aha, but it doesn't seem to actually set it to max, something more like
> 50% I think.. I'm not too sure about this though.

probably it only works for the 711 and the 719 has volume registers
elsewhere.

> > > 2) How can I get the Voxware driver to work for this chipset, I think
> > > it's probably possible, but using pnp at the same time makes it somewhat
> > > harder to get anywhere.
> >
> > you mean the commercial one ?
>
> The old one that used to be the default in /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound,
> or perhaps a newer version, this appears to be VoxWare 2.9 on 3.0-Release.

that one is so old and unmaintained, it does not know of any new card.

> > > 3) Has anyone got a similar card to use soundblaster mode at all ?
> >
> > some might, but MSS mode is the one which works best.
>
> Tried that with the old driver, but I always end up getting a lot of
> things like this :
>
> /kernel: How strange... mss_intr with no reason!

that's a message of the _new_ driver (pcm).

> I've emailed the guy who maintains the documentation at yamaha to see if I
> can get one. Could be handy, although I'd not rate my chances of getting
> it to work even with the datasheet very highly either though =)

not really, usually you need a very little bit of info (register
location and meaning...) to make things work.

	cheers
	luigi