Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:27:18 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial port errors

Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 mwlucas@exceptionet.com wrote:
>
> > I recently blew my machine's onboard serial port 2.  Went out and bought an
> > add-on card for two more serial ports, set them up as sio2 and sio3, and got
> > back one the Net.  sio1 is disabled in the BIOS and stripped out of the
> > kernel.
> >
> > Now I'm getting this error.  sio3 is plugged into my modem.
> >
> > Nov 19 09:22:39 panic /kernel: sio3: 1 more silo overflow (total 1)
> >
> > Anyone know what this means?
>
> It means that data is coming through faster than the system can deal with
> it.

Also check the serial cable, particularly that the shield is connected
properly.

I had this problem with a SUN with a DNC serial link to the shop floor.
The (so called, ha bloody ha) professional network company that laid the
cables for us made a join in one of them by twisting the conductors
together and wrapping them in insulating tape :-().

As the cables passed near to some arc welding equipment the amount of
noise picked up resulted in >2MB per day!!! of "silo overflow" errors
being written to /var/adm/messages, result? file system full.

If your serial cable is in poor condition and near the mains cable
(which it probably is at the back of a PC) it could be picking up noise.

The fact that you had to mess around the back of the PC means you've
disturbed the cabling which maybe why you didn't have the problem
before.

HTH

> What FreeBSD version?
>
> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org

   When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.uk.radan.com