Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 12:36:14 -0600
From:      "Otto E. Solares" <solca@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS & NIS Problems

John Kenagy wrote:

> Please let us know how your NIS is set up. Master server, any slave
> servers? Has it ever worked? Check
>
> I would guess it is NIS trying to figure out who is logging in. Try to
> give us as much detail as possible on how it is configured.
>
> Did you get NFS to work without NIS? Or, was it the other way around?
> Probably, you should solve one at a time.

We have only a master server "zeus.adm.fisicc-ufm.edu",
no slaves, one NIS domain "olympia.fisicc" and all clients
are in time synch with zeus.

The clients used to be in the same network with the
server (192.168.1.0) but that was when we was setting up
the clients 1 by 1 so we have no chance to see if has the
same problems, now each lab contains like 40 clients, we have
4 labs (lab1: 192.168.2.0 lab2: 192.168.3.0 lab3:192.168.4.0
and lab4: 192.168.5.0) The clients are almost 95% the day
in windows and a few days we have like 60 in FreeBSD
(student projects), very tipically it hangs in X with the user
logged in and display a message like RPC time out.

The server's link is @ 100Mb/s and the clients @ 10Mb/s.
Each LAN is connected to 3Com switches and each switch
is connected to a big 3Com switch (CoreBuilder) and are
organized with VLANS. Each VLAN has a default router
which is this CoreBuilder which do routing too. The server's
NIC is 3Com 3c59x II Boomerang and client's NIC is Intel
EtherExpress Pro 10/100B.

When the client starts ypset, this say:
ypset: sorry, cannot ypset for domain olympia.fisicc on host
So after that we perform an ypset -setme and works with
this problems.

The server 's rc.conf says:

# Network Information Services (NIS) options: ###
nis_client_enable="YES"         # We're an NIS client (or NO).
nis_client_flags=""             # Flags to ypbind (if enabled).
nis_ypset_enable="NO"           # Run ypset at boot time (or NO).
nis_ypset_flags=""              # Flags to ypset (if enabled).
nis_server_enable="YES"         # We're an NIS server (or NO).
nis_server_flags=""             # Flags to ypserv (if enabled).
nis_ypxfrd_enable="NO"          # Run rpc.ypxfrd at boot time (or NO).
nis_ypxfrd_flags=""             # Flags to rpc.ypxfrd (if enabled).
nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"      # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot time (or NO).

nis_yppasswdd_flags="-t /var/yp/master.passwd"          # Flags to
rpc.yppasswdd (if enabled).

And the client's rc.conf says:

nisdomainname="olympia.fisicc"          # Set to NIS domain if using NIS
(or NO)

# Network Information Services (NIS) options: ###
nis_client_enable="YES"         # We're an NIS client (or NO).
nis_client_flags="-ypsetme"             # Flags to ypbind (if enabled).
nis_ypset_enable="YES"          # Run ypset at boot time (or NO).
nis_ypset_flags="zeus"          # Flags to ypset (if enabled).
nis_server_enable="NO"          # We're an NIS server (or NO).
nis_server_flags=""             # Flags to ypserv (if enabled).
nis_ypxfrd_enable="NO"          # Run rpc.ypxfrd at boot time (or NO).
nis_ypxfrd_flags=""             # Flags to rpc.ypxfrd (if enabled).
nis_yppasswdd_enable="NO"       # Run rpc.yppasswdd at boot time (or NO).

nis_yppasswdd_flags=""          # Flags to rpc.yppasswdd (if enabled).

Thank you in advance.

Otto E. Solares