Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:13:47 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ruby gems, use ports or not?

--Apple-Mail-4--893514781
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Aug 15, 2006, at 10:52 AM, David Sledge wrote:

> I installed rails using gems, I have not seen any problems with it
> yet.

I personally don't use ruby, but a similar situation exists with perl
and the CPAN archives.  I used to install all modules via CPAN
directly, but in the long run it became very difficult to keep up-to-
date across major perl upgrades, system upgrades, etc.

It is my firm belief that you not mix and match like this: either
install everything (ie, all of ruby + gems) by hand or everything
using your package management system of choice.  Anything else will
eventually end up causing you confusion and difficulty in upgrades.

It is for this very reason that I've been submitting quite a number
of perl library ports rather than just using the CPAN install of
them, which would have been easier short-term.

--Apple-Mail-4--893514781--