Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:39:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 430VX (Triton III) chipset

> Hi,
>
> anyone know of any gotchas with this chipset?

First off, as others have pointed out, this is NOT Triton-III, and
sales folks using that in there lit. are doing everyone a miss services.

The 430VX is a low cost design alternative to the 430HX, it has a memory
space restriction of 128MB, though it does add support for SDRAM and some
view that as a neat feature.  It also has no way that I have seen to cache
above 64MB.

> I am considering getting an Asus P/I-P55TVP4 M/B with this chipset on it
> and would like to make an informed decision.

As you state later you have opted for the PCI/I-P55T2P4 board, that would
be my recomendation.  If your going for a large memory space be sure to
get a revision 1.6 or later board that has the support for caching >64MB
by simply adding a 32kx8-15nS 5V chip to the board, the earlier versions
require a special COAST module for this, the 1.6 and later do not.