Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2013 13:32:09 -0500
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        Michael Wayne <freebsd07@wayne47.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Seeking an extended-support O/S similar to FreeBSD

On Mar 29, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Michael Wayne <freebsd07@wayne47.com> =
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 07:31:50PM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
>>=20
>> Every other minor release of FreeBSD is supported for 2 full years, =
with no
>> new features added, just security fixes (aka Extended Releases).
>>=20
>> And every major release of FreeBSD is supported for at least 4, =
somtimes 5,
>> years.
>=20
> That's exactly the issue.  After 4-5 years, there's nothing.
>=20
>> FreeBSD isn't perfect (what OS is?), but it's amazing that you can =
install
>> the newest versions of MySQL, Firefox, KDE, Postfix, etc on 7.4 =
(until the
>> end of Feb, anyway), or 8.3, or 9.0, or 9.1. And can continue to get
>> security fixes for all those releases (except 7.x now).
>=20
> That's no help at all to a bunch of machines that started life on
> 4.1 back in 2000 and will continue to run another 10-15 years, is
> it?  What's your suggestion for dealing with that? It's not like
> anything currently supported is gonna fit on those machines without
> a rediculous amount of effort.
>=20
>> What's missing from FreeBSD support?
>=20
> Having one release supported for an extended time. It would be
> insane to consider maintaining every release for an extended period
> but ONE release, supported for an extended period (decades) would
> really help.  We're far enough down the security path that there
> are not that many security vulnerabilities in base. Ports generally
> build just fine on older versions. =20

We have servers that are currently in production use that we purchased =
in 2002. They're fully capable of running 9.1-RELEASE, so we keep them =
updated regularly. FreeBSD 2.x through 9.1 are installable off a single =
CD - disk space requirements have not increased in any substantial way. =
Later kernels tend to have more things in modules, so memory usage may =
be lower just with a GENERIC kernel.=20

Compatibility also isn't really an issue - this isn't like Windows where =
upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 8 is going to leave you with a =
bunch of applications that don't work and missing drivers for half your =
stuff. In most cases support is additive, and backwards compatible.=20

It's very rare for a new version to pull support for hardware that's =
even slightly commonly used. The only reason things get pulled are that =
usually there's nobody with hardware anymore to even test it, so trying =
to maintain compatibility even on an ancient version of FreeBSD is hard =
because the ability to verify they haven't broken it is gone.

You also need to consider power cost v.s. replacing hardware, too. A =
server that was a beast in 2000 is likely slower than a modern day Atom =
box, and likely uses 10-30x the power. We obsolete (and donate) old =
equipment once replacing it pays for itself in 6 months. All of our =
pre-2002 servers are gone now due to this, and we'll probably be in the =
2005 range by the end of the year.

And keep in mind that there have been many vulnerabilities in the base =
system, mostly local but some remote. Just pushing a patch out to =
FreeBSD 4.1 is going to be a big undertaking because, again, it =
supported some obscure stuff that got removed because there are no =
developers who even have that hardware anymore. (ISDN for example)

Asking for "decades" of support is rare for any software product, unless =
you're talking about enterprise levels of support that basically pay for =
a few people's salaries to be dedicated on it. To use Microsoft as an =
example, Windows Server 2003 was released in 2003, and standard =
support/updates ended in 2010. That's *paid* support that lasts 7 years. =
You can pay even more gobs of money to get another 5 years of *support* =
but no updates out of them. If you want security updates to Windows =
Server 2003 beyond 2010, you installed Server 2008, which is supported =
until 2015. Their basic policy is they support things for a minimum of 5 =
years, or 2 years after the next version comes out, whichever is longer.=20=

Rather than saying you want a 20-30 year commitment on one specific =
version, can you go into more detail why updating isn't possible for =
you?  freebsd-update has made updating about as painless as I can =
imagine it being. Especially if you want to live a little dangerously =
and skip the last step that removes the old libraries - you don't need =
to recompile anything if you really can't. If you're operating things =
that are extremely risk averse where any change needs substantial =
validation before putting it into production, you're probably better off =
with a commercial OS that splits out individual changes instead of =
rolling releases like FreeBSD.

We walk a lot of our customers through keeping their systems updated, so =
I'm always curious to hear why it's unpalatable for some reason.

-- Kevin