Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 13:28:41 +0200
From:      Volker Paepcke <scratchy@VULCAN.franken.de>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bug report for patchset 8

Hi!

I think I've found a bug in patchset 8:

After successfully installing and running Forte4J it seems to work
very stable except some redraw problems in the menus. I think this
is a known problem (I'm using Lesstif)!? The default font.properties
is unusable, because the fonts have wrong metrics (The size seems to
be correct but there is extra space above and below the characters).
Installing the URW fonts with the correspoding font.propteries worked
for me.

And here comes the bug: all external programm execution doesn't work!
e.g. compiling with jikes or running cvs commands. The external programm
terminates but the IDE is waiting forever. I've written a small program
that reproduces this problem:

import java.io.*;

public class ExecTest
{
    public static void main(String args[])
    {
        try {
            Process proc = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(new String[] { "date" });
            proc.waitFor();
        } catch (Exception ex) {
            ex.printStackTrace();
        }
    }
}

the call to waitFor() never returns. With the JDK 1.1.8 and Blackdown's RC4
the waitFor() call is returning immediatly. I'm running FreeBSD 4.0-Stable.

Aside from this all my self-written programms are working fine!!!
I'm heavily using JDBC, RMI, JAI, CORBA (ORBacus) and many threads (but no
calls to waitFor)...

Very nice work :-)

bye,
Volker