Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:25:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Isaac Flemming <iflemmin@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NASM programs for freebsd

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Isaac Flemming wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
>  I am currently enrolled in college course that requires us to use the
> Netwide Assembler (NASM). This creates a small problem for me, because I
> do not have a DOS box in my room, and do not know how to get NASM to work
> the way I expect it to under FreeBSD.
>
>  I noticed that NASM is located in the ports collection so I compiled it
> and have used it to assemble the .asm assembly code I used for DOS in
> class. The assembler does not give me any errors, but I cannot seem to get
> the programs to execute. In my most recent attempt I compiled the .asm
> into aoutb format and tried to link it into a .c program which calls it.
> The gcc c compiler gave me errors at this point, and I am now at a
> compleat loss. I have looked around FreeBSD-questions, and hackers
> archives for several hours but cannot seem to find anything that helps me.
> Is there any one out there that knows how to get NASM to make a file I can
> execute, or link into a c program!? Even a simple "hello world" example
> may help.

You don't state what FreeBSD version you're running, but there was a
switch to ELF loading format, so it's entirely possible you could get it
to work because of incorrect format.

Regardless, you committed the cardinal sin of giving us no data, not your
failed program, not your error messages, not the FreeBSD version.  You
could have only hit about 3,000 possible ways to do things wrong, but
you're asking us to guess.

OK, I'll use the one piece of data you *did* give; you said you wrote your
program for DOS.  Are you aware that FreeBSD accesses system services in
an entirely different way than you do under DOS?  No BIOS interrupts, no
DOS interrupts, things don't work that way.  Of, course, maybe you did
know that, but we can't tell, you didn't supply the data ...

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)