From:      Vesa Alho <vezku@surfeu.fi>
To:        freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd/bash 8bit support

Hey fellow freebsd users,

I just subscribed to this list. I've searched google and freebsd mailing
list archives and finally I need to turn to you guys.

I'm experiencing problems with the 8-bit character set(s) on freebsd
(4.6.2). I want to use ISO-8859-1 (or -15) set on my box and I've
managed to set the following:

-------------------------
/etc/rc.conf
	keymap="finnish.cp850"
-------------------------
what's the difference between cp850 and iso maps? iso does not work, but
cp850 does.

this is for bash (which i use for shell):
-------------------------
/etc/profile
	LC_ALL=fi_FI.ISO8859-1; export LC_ALL
	LC_CTYPE=fi_FI.ISO8859-1; export LC_CTYPE
	LANG=fi_FI; export LANG

	# even tried the old way
	set meta-flag on
	set convert-meta off
	set input-meta on
	set output-meta on
-------------------------

Okay, with these settings bash does have 8bit support.

Problems:

1. pine 8bit support does not work in local box(even iso-8859-1 defined
in pine conf).

2. When I ssh to another box, for example a linux box it complains about
wrong terminal (cons25l1, changed it at /etc/ttys) type. I change it to
vt100 and still the 8bit support does not work on remote box.

I suspect the problem is freebsd terminal (cons25l1) settings.
This is annoying coz in linux I didn't even have to think about these...
Some sort of automation would be cool (like a line in rc.conf). :-)

Thanks in advance.

!                Vesa Alho               !
!           Linux/BSD SysAdmin           !
!   Despite the high cost of living, it  !
!         remains a popular item.        !
All mail scanned for viruses.