Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:52:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Saffa J. Kemokai" <sulima@sulima.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/sysconfig

On Fri, 20 February 1998 at 22:14:50 -0800, Saffa J. Kemokai wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I installed FreeBSD from Walnut Creek CD version 2.2.5. I have been
> frustrated trying to locate a file "sysconfig". Everything I have read
> trying to install/establish PPP connection points to /etc/sysconfig. I
> have all the search methods I presently know including "ls lt | grep
> sys". I am convince this file is not on the system. Is there a way to
> create this file without reinstalling FreeBSD from scratch?

Where did you see a reference to this file?  It's dead and gone, the
new name is /etc/rc.conf.  If there is something in the current
documentation that still refers to it, please let me know.

> I have also tried to use minicom to dial out but I ran into similar
> situation where it tells me that the default file is not found.

I don't know minicom, but it's definitely not the way to go.

> Is there anyone that can render a help here? Would it better to install
> FreeBSD over the line?

JOOI, how to you plan to do that?

> I have some doubts on the integrity of the Walnut Creek CD (4 in a
> set) I bought particularly not getting answer from the tech support
> there.

We don't.  Walnut Creek are the good guys.

You've obviously found -questions.  That's the place to ask this sort
of question.  Walnut Creek's technical support concentrates mainly on
support of other products: there's no reason for them to want to
compete with the people who answer -questions.

I can only assume that you ordered FreeBSD without the book.  That
works, of course, but it's more work.

Greg