Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:52:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Leif Neland" <leif@neland.dk>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   cer/b7b/pfc -> pem

<<On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 02:14:23 +0200, "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk> said:

> I can export the key as a .cer, .p7b or .pfx, but openssl seems to want it
> in .pem format.

Of course, you haven't really told us what the format of these things
is, so it's difficult to say.

The ``standard'' export format is something called PKCS#12.  You can
use `openssl pkcs12' with various options to extract the key and
certificate from this sort of format.  It will prompt you for the
password you specified when exporting.

If you export in any other format, it is highly unlikely to contain
your private key, which is required to make use of the certificate.
Those other formats are normally used when you want to distribute your
public key to someone or as a part of something other than a mail
message.

-GAWollman