Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 12:42:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jason Hudgins <thanatos@eddie.incantations.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modems

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Kenneth Legg wrote:

Win-modems suck.  They remove a lot of the hardware functionality, and do
it via software instead.  This makes them cheaper to build.  Unfortunatly,
it also slows them down, and you have to have Windows to perform the
software functions that are normally done in hardware.. You can't take the
win out of win-modem and expect it to work..

> I read in a linux how-to that win modems will not work with unix system,
>
> is this true? I have a 33.6 us robotics win modem, if this modem will
> not work what modem should I buy and where can I find information on
> installing it? Can I use the linux how-to doc on modem installation for
> Freebsd. Does freebsd use drivers for modems and other cards like
> windows does? Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Kenny

Jason Hudgins