Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:30:20 -0800
From:      "Bruce H. Kwan" <Bruce.H.Kwan@jpl.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SPPP over RISCom/N2

Hi-

I am trying to use the RISCom/N2 driver that comes with the
2.2.7 distribution. The driver configures the serial card as an
SPPP network interface.  I have two PC's with RISCom cards
and I am simply trying to make a connection between the two
machines. I have done the proper ifconfig and route configuration
calls (I think) and I get the following when I do an ifconfig -a
and a netstat -r:

(I've excluded the actual IP /ethernet addresses...)

machin1# ifconfig -a
ep0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet xx.xx.xx.26 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast xx.xx.xx.255
        ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
sr0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet xx.xx.xx.26 --> xx.xx.xx.176 netmask 0xffffffff
sr1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

machine1# netstat -r
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
default            default-gateway   UGSc        1        0       ep0
localhost          localhost          UH          0        4       lo0
xx.xx.xx/24      link#1             UC          0        0
machine1           xx:xx:xx:xx:xx   UHLW        0       38       lo0
machine2            sr0                UHS         0        8       sr0

When I attempt to ping between the machines, I get:

machine1# ping machine2
PING machine2 (xx.xx.xx.176): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is down
ping: sendto: Network is down

I configured machine2 to speak to machine 1 via
its own sr0 interface as well.

Do you know what I might be missing in my understanding
of how SPPP is used to configure and support the RISCom/N2
card? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bruce Kwan