Date:      Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:18:40 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lost maintainers

tmseck-lists@netcologne.de (Thomas-Martin Seck) writes:

> * Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru> [gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports]:
>
>> I think we need to make some procedure of taking off the maintainership
>> from "lost" maintainers. I mean maintainers who keep silence for a
>> long-long time.
>
> This is a portmgr@ decision which should be written down somewhere.
> Especially when it comes to the definition of "long time".

There will not be a fixed limit. "long time" needs to be on the order of
days for security upgrades, and IMHO they should be committed over the
maintainer's head if he's silent for four days, and on the order of
weeks for low-priority updates during summer when everyone's on vacation.

It would be good if a port had multiple maintainers and the MAINTAINER
address was actually a mailing list, for "important" ports. Whatever
that means, it's a soft limit as well. Someone said "common sense",
although some rules of thumb would ease this process and might help
avoid this discussions.

>> We can give them back the maintainership if they will back.
>
> I would not like if someone came back and took the port I just got used
> to maintain.

Given the long time squid has been sleeping, I'd vote to reassign
maintainership for squid.

If the original maintainer wants the port back, there are still several
responded (i. e. was in hospital for a long time, for instance, his/her
house burnt down, something like that that you don't foresee) and the
port can be trusted to him/her again, maintainership transfer is
negotiated;  2. re-transfer of maintainership, or the old and new
maintainer can team up, and the MAINTAINER is replaced by a mailing list
that the two maintainers are subscribed to. The ad-hoc /etc/aliases kind
of thing will usually do;  3. the new maintainer remains in charge.

--
Matthias Andree