Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:18:04 -0500
From:      "antenneX" <antennex@swbell.net>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using sendmail

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To: "antenneX" <antennex@swbell.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 11:57 AM

> On 2004-06-24 11:33, antenneX <antennex@swbell.net> wrote:
> > ....oops! I should have said please send any config examples needed to
do
> > this...??
>
> Look at the file /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README near line 794:
>
> : mailertable     Include a "mailer table" which can be used to override
> :                 routing for particular domains (which are not in class
{w},
> :                 i.e.  local host names).  The argument of the FEATURE
may be
> :                 the key definition.  If none is specified, the
definition
> :                 used is:
> :
> :                         hash /etc/mail/mailertable
> :
>
> You might also want to check out the rest of this file, as it's the
> definitive reference for sendmail configuration options.  Another good
> reference, which is always available, but seldom exploited to its full
> potential is the ``Sendmail Installation and Operation Guide''.
>
> You can find it in /usr/share/doc:
>
>     $ zcat /usr/share/doc/smm/08.sendmailop/paper.ascii.gz | less
>
> HTH,
>
> - Giorgos

Indeed, I had read the above before and spent lost of time searchin the
sendmail website too, but could never get it right.

Okay, I know I still have messed it up. Tried the setup below, but something
is wrong because of the errors shown and is not delivered to server #2.

Server #1 - IP 200.200.200.101
- DNS for mail.server2.net points here (was to 200.200.200.102 and OK on
normal delivery)
- mail.server2.net in local-host-names
- In mailertable = mail.server2.net esmtp:mail.server2.net

Server #2 - IP 200.200.200.102
- has sendmail & pop3
- mail.server2.net in local-host-names
- has user "william"

Send test mail: william@server2.net
....get error:
SYSERR(root): mail.server2.net. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)

and...

Jun 24 12:43:45 server1 sm-mta[78108]: i5OHhi0f078104:
to=<william@server2.net>, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp,
pri=30706, relay=mail.server2.net. [200.200.200.101], dsn=5.3.5, stat=Local
configuration error