Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 19:55:20 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>
> > Also, the main reason for this was to ease the transition from one
> > version to another.  Maybe for a hacker like you it doesn't matter,
> > but for users who don't know how to hack ports to use whatever version
> > they have, this is the only way to get ports that require different
> > base tcl/tk to peacefully coexist.
>
> Well, perhaps Chuck is volunteering to go through all the ports
> and patch them so that they'll work with v7.5, 7.6, or 8.0,
> whichever happens to be on the installer's machine...  :-)

The problem is not asmuch with tcl but with tk, in which case there are
incompatibilites, making it imposible to run some 3.6 scripts on 4.0 or
higher.

The concensus (among the core and commiters) seemed to be (last time) - no
new ports using anything lower than 4.1, everyone highly encouraged to
make anything possible work with 4.1

So there are no theoretical problems (but I still use the programs).

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.