Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2019 14:58:12 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Balanga Bar <balanga.bar@gmail.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loaderdev

On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 22:40 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> I've looked for info on possible values for loaderdev, but have not
> seen
> anything, although I notice when booting my GoFlex Home I see
>
> U-Boot env: loaderdev not set, will probe all devices.
>
> What should I set loaderdev to and where does this line come from?

Set loaderdev in the uboot environment, ubldr will read it from there
using a uboot API call.  The basic values are 'disk' or 'net'.

If you use 'net' you need to also set rootpath=ip:/nfs/root/path and
serverip=<ip of nfs server> in the uboot env.  This will use nfs to
load the kernel, and also will mount that nfs filesystem as the rootfs.

If you use 'disk' it will probe all disk-like devices to find a freebsd
partition marked active (or just the first freebsd partition it finds
if none has the active flag in the MBR).  Instead of just disk, you can
also use specific device types, like mmc, usb, sata.  Also, you can
append a unit, slice, and partition parameter, like 'disk0:2.1 to boot
from the first disk device, slice 2 partition 1 (equivelent to da0s2a
or mmcsd0s2a).  In freebsd 13 you can use the more common 's2a' syntax,
but I haven't merged those changes back to 12 or 11 yet.

-- Ian